preparation: 20min | cooking: 30min | difficulty:
© 2010 Tony El Batal
serving portion: 8 persons
- 2 rolls of puff pastry (pâte feuilleté)
- 125g butter
- 125g powdered sugar
- 125g dark chocolate, cut in pieces
- 125g powdered almond
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp rum
- 2 tsp of almond extract
- Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs and sugar, whisk until mixture is smooth; Add it to the butter-chocolate mixture; When the mixture is cool, add the almond powder, rum and almond extract.
- Put the 1st pastry roll in an oven tray, spread over it the marzipan chocolate mixture, making sure to leave a 1.5 cm of dough around the border.
- Place the coin somewhere toward the edge of the marzipan mixture to decrease the possibility of finding it, then spread the 2nd roll pastry by welding the edges well.
- Spread beaten egg yolk on the cake with a brush (to make the surface brownish when cooked) and draw the spirals (below illustration).
- Sprinkle lightly with icing sugar to make the galette shine and bake for 30 minutes in a hot oven (180 °C).
- The person cutting the galettes should be the last one to choose his portion since he might know where the coin is.
- The winner should put a carton crown on his/her head.